Thursday, December 25, 2014

a new york holiday: guide


New York city during the holidays is an enchanting experience. The city dresses up for this time of the year. It's such a festive atmosphere, surrounded by lights and christmas trees. I feel as though each year that goes by, christmas looses its magic more. I'm not sure if it's because of "growing up" but it worries me for some reason. But visiting Manhattan for this season revived my love for the holidays. 

what to do:



1. Visit Rockefeller
This is quite touristy but it's well worth it! The christmas tree here is MASSIVE and beautiful to look at. I saw a proposal in the ice skating rink (She said yes!)


2. Chelsea Market
Chelsea Market is filled with unique stores and specialty shops. It's artfully decorated for the season. There's many vendors here that sell handmade goods. By buying here, you're supporting local artists. Get friends made in New York gifts from here. There's a cool bookstore here to browse trough.  There's so much to food to try! It's pretty much a foodie's heaven. From vegan sushi (Beyond Sushi) to mini doughnuts (Doughnuttery). There's something for everyone. It's also the home of Youtube and Food Network kitchens.


3. Bodega Trees
Walking through a forest of christmas trees in the middle of a bustling city is cool. They are everywhere so make sure to check them out. I really just wanted to get one for my invisible nyc apartment.



4. The Creative Little Garden
After my morning coffee, I was walking down East Village and came upon this gem. It's a serene little garden that's open for all. I was amazed at the holiday inspired decorations. It's defiantly worth a look during this time of the year. It's a quaint escape from the busy chaos of nyc.


5. Soho
Great place to do christmas shopping. During this time, most stores have huge sales.


6. Window Displays
Barneys, Macy's, Lord & Taylor and stores in 5th avenue all put on breathtaking holiday displays.


7. Ice Skating
Ice skating in New York is a classic holiday tradition. However, I honestly didn't have time to do this. I really wanted to do go ice skating so I'm going to have to go back. I would love to go to the Wollman Rink in Central Park. It's incredibly picturesque. It's expensive at $18, not including skate rentals. I think it's worth it for once. Also there's free ice skating in Bryant park. If you don't mind waiting for 2 hours in Rockefeller center, ice skating there is something you must do at least once. It will cost you $27 though.


Happy Holidays,

Mariella

No comments:

Post a Comment